Southwold Hospital was built between 1898 and 1903 to commemorate the jubilee of Queen Victoria. It was designed in the Arts and Crafts style by architect Thomas Keyes.
The hospital was central to the life of the community and a source of great pride. It was built entirely through community subscriptions and even after its nationalisation by the NHS in 1948, the community continued to raise money to pay for new facilities and equipment.
After its closure in 2016, a community group, SouthGen, was formed to buy it back, restore its Victorian character, and redevelop it as a community hub with affordable housing.
The public realm landscaping has been funded by the Denbury Charitable Fund, founded by James and Selina Hopkins. James’ father, Dr. Christopher Hopkins, served as Southwold’s GP for 32 years, caring for his patients in the hospital.
All the planting has been selected to promote biodiversity or to be used in the Old Hospital’s community café. The kitchen of which was also funded by the Denbury Charitable Fund.